- 1 bag of pre-made caramels
- 1 lb dark chocolate
- Short Bread Cookies
- 1/2 cup palm shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour (1/2 cup white, 1/2 cup whole grain)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
preheat oven to 375
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Add in shortening, vanilla and mix. A crumbly dough should be formed. Knead a few time with your hands
- Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper. Press half of the dough into the bottom. Make sure it is even and level.
- Lift out the parchment paper and dough to cut with a pizza cutter. Cut into 1/2 inch x 6 inch strips. Repeat steps 2-3 with remaining dough.
- Carefully peel cookie strips and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 12-14 mins or until slightly golden brown. Take out and allow to cool.
- While the cookies are baking, open caramel squares and remove the wrappers.
- Cut each square in half. I lined up a 5 caramels at a time and used my old dough cutter to speed up the cutting.
- Once the cookies come out of the oven, place 3 caramels pieces on each cookie. (a total of 1 1/2 caramels is used for each cookie.)
- Allow the caramel to warm up on the cookie for about 2 minutes
- Once the caramel is warm, take all 3 pieces and press them together in the shape of a log. Stretch to fit the length/width of the cookie and place on top.
- Dip each cookie in chocolate and place on parchment paper and wait for chocolate to set.
- Eat and enjoy in moderation (if you can). Freeze leftovers to enjoy whenever!