Another great thing about this recipe is it’s a one bowl mix. (I always try to save time with clean up if possible.)
preheat oven to 375 degrees
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose (whole grain)
- 1 cup applesauce (or 2 eggs if not allergic)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup palm shortening
- 1 cup yogurt (use soy for vegan)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 4 granny smith apples cored and cubed, reserve 1/2 apple for top
- 1/2 bag of caramel chunks (to make it vegan use vegan caramel)
- 1-2 T milk of choice
- Combine all dry ingredients and mix well.
- Peel and core apples. Reserve 1/2 apple to accent the top.
- Cut apples into small cubes.
- Add yogurt, shortening, and applesauce to bowl and mix well. Batter should be thick but spreadable.
- Fold in apple cubes and pour into a greased 8×8 round pan.
- Cut remaining 1/2 into thin slices. Create a fan of apples only slightly overlapping until a complete circle is made. You may not use the entire apple.
- Bake for 20-25mins. (This cake is hard to tell when finished because it is so moist. Check
before time is done with tooth pick in the center. Tooth pick should be dry when removed.)
- Allow to cool completely before flipping and covering with caramel.
- Melt caramel in microwave and mix in milk. Adjust amount depending upon how thin you’d like the caramel to be.
- Eat and enjoy!