This started it all… Cookies. Ah, a nice warm cookie with the slight crunch on the outside. Soft and chewy inside. The chocolate chips still melted and gooey. So good. This is what I craved, after going gluten free. I dreamt of cookies. Good cookies. Not the gross store bought ones.
I tried several boxed mixes and recipes with “all purpose” flours. The results were less than tantalizing. Gritty textures, strange flavors, and big glycymic index. I literally could feel my blood sugar spike.
The boxed all purposed mixes were allergy friendly but lacked flavor and had the wrong textures.
So the search for a good cookie became an obsession. I needed to find a chocolate chip cookie that really tasted and had the same texture that a gluten based cookie would have. I spent nights drooling over gluten cookies and the gluten free alternatives. I found some promising recipes only to be disappointed with the vague “all purpose” flour again. All purpose could mean anything. There was no desciption of the texture or flavor. I found that many of the other successful bloggers posted “suggested” pre-mixed flour. Just tell us what kind of flour was used to make the recipe. Right?
Ingredients preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 9-12 mins depending on size.
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 T molasses
- 3 T milk of choice (milk, not water to add browning and moisture)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 T egg replacer + 1/4 water
- Mix flour baking soda and salt in a bowl, set aside
- Cream sugar, molasses and shortening for 2mins with mixer. Add egg replacer and water. Mix an additional 2mins. *Add in Xanthan Gum and milk, mix another 2 mins (I like to add it now to help active it more effiecently with the most moisture.)
- Immediately start adding flour or else the xanthan gum will absorb too much moisture. Mix 3-4 mins.
- Add chocolate chips. Ideally, cover and chill in refrigerator for 30mins. Can’t wait can you? (no worries, I couldn’t the first time either :0)
- Scoop dough on to parchment lined cookie sheet. Cookies will spread slightly so leave space. They’ll spread more if your dough was not chilled.
- Bake until edges turn golden brown.
- Allow to cool on the sheet for 5 mins.
- EAT and enjoy!