I hope all of you had a nice and safe Thanksgiving. Our was pretty uneventful, which is always a good thing! My husband had to work in the morning so I got up a little early to start some side dishes that couldn’t be done in advance. Things went pretty smoothly aside from Mr. Naughty clinging to my leg for dear life. I don’t understand it, but whenever I need space to cook he’s does this. Thankfully my brother in-law arrived and kept the kiddos busy with legos and car races.
We all ended up having a nice lunch together. After our meal done and I finished cleaning up, I was totally exhausted. All I wanted to do was sit and relax. Watch a movie. Lie on the couch. Sleep. Instead, I decided to quick look for some online deals with Black Friday.
Ok, so I’m a little crazy… but I knew I wasn’t going to be shopping on Black Friday. Instead of relaxing, I was baking again.
If you liked my monkey bread recipe, you’ll totally love this. I’ve revamped the recipe to make it healthier. I made it with half of the fat and a fraction of the sugar. It’s a banana bread with blueberries and formed into monkey bread. This gluten frre bread is super moist and has a delicious banana bread flavor that pairs wonderfully with blueberries. The blueberries add a beautiful color that’s rich with antioxidants and fiber. It’s gluten free, egg-free, soy-free, dairy-free, peanut-free and tree-nut free.
I think it really turned out great. It even smelled like banana bread with blueberries and had a wonderful crispy crust around each bite size piece. I love blueberries, so the more blueberries the better. I made an extra sauce with just blueberry and lemon juice. No added sugar needed. The sauce balanced out all the sweet with some tartness from the lemon juice.
I hope you like it! Depending upon which milk you choose, it is also free of the 8 common food allergens.
Bake at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes depending on pan. Internal temp should read 180 with a thermometer.
- 2 1/2 cups gluten free all purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
- 2 large bananas pureed
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1 T organic sugar
- 1 T egg replacer
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 T melted shortening or butter
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 T lemon juice
- Heat milk to 100 degrees and add yeast. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until foamy. Thaw frozen blueberries in the microwave.
- Combine all dry ingredients and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, puree bananas. Add in egg replacer, yeast, and juice from the thawed blueberries. Mix well. Pour over dry ingredients and mix for 2-3 minutes by hand to activate xanthan gum. Add blueberries.
- Melt shortening in a small bowl. Pour sugar into another separate bowl. Grease an 8 or 9 inch round pan with extra shortening. Lightly sprinkle pan with 1 T of cinnamon sugar mix for the topping.
- Dip fingers of one hand in melted shortening, and scoop a spoonful of dough with the other. Drop dough into greased hand and shape into a ball. Add more shortening to hand if needed.
- Roll in sugar and place in a greased 8 inch round pan. Repeat until all dough is gone. Try and make a single layer of dough balls or else it will affect your baking time.
- Allow dough to rise until almost double in size. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 25 to 35 minutes. Take out of oven and allow to cool.
- While the bread is baking, make the sauce by cooking blueberries in a pan for 5 minutes with lemon juice. Gently mix if you like whole blueberries (I do.) Or carefully smash for more of a liquid sauce.
- Flip bread out of pan and serve with extra blueberry sauce. Best enjoyed the first day but freezes well!