Skinny Bacon Mac and Cheese (dairy free gluten free)
Author: Laura @Petite Allergy Treats
- 1 box favorite GF macaroni pasta (I used Barilla)
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened milk of choice
- 16 oz bag of carrots
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 6 slices of bacon
- 3 T bacon drippings
- 3 T white rice flour
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp salt or to taste
- pepper optional
- Prepare boxed gluten free pasta using directions from the box. Drain and rinse, running under cold water to stop cooking. Set aside.
- Boil carrots until fork tender. Blend with a hand stick or food processor until smooth consistency. Set aside.
- Cook bacon until crispy. Set aside. Reserve 3 T bacon drippings, discard the rest.
- In a sauce pan, heat oil under medium heat and whisk in flour. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add in milk stirring constantly with the whisk. Sauce will thicken up immediately. Keep stirring.
- Add shredded zucchini, carrot puree and other spices. Crumble bacon and mix well. Taste and add more salt if needed and optional pepper.
- Pour sauce over pasta and gently fold to coat noodles. Best enjoyed the first day warm.