of cheese to make this dairy free, Vegan, gluten free, peanut free, tree nut free and
easy (and super cheap) go to meal. A dairy free mac and cheese is a great way for people allergic to dairy to once again
pre-packaged foods go. Of course, he loved it and I enjoyed it too. And like so many of our
other easy foods, we had to give it up when Mr. Naughty was diagnosed with his food allergies.
More specifically after he had a scary reaction after eating it.
must be close to one year ago, so maybe I wasn’t here yet. Anyways, lunch one day consisted
of a boxed gluten free macaroni and cheese. He’d eaten it before and didn’t have any problems.
This particular day, I decided to add some frozen spinach, chicken, basil oil, and olive oil.
was to administer an epi-pen. My husband and I quickly looked over the rest of his body and
didn’t find any signs of hives or other symptoms. Instead of giving him the epi-pen, we gave him
some benadryl. Within 10 minutes his swelling went down and he seemed less irritable. We
watched him like hawks for the next few hours with no follow up problems.
received it as a gift.
frustrating and scary since the next reaction is usually worse.
vegetables. The 16 ounce bag of carrots pureed to about 1 1/2 cups. If you wanted to cheat a little,
you could even use baby food. (I won’t tell anyone.) 🙂
- 1 box favorite gluten free macaroni pasta
- 1½ cups unsweetened dairy free milk of choice
- 16 oz bag of fresh carrots
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 3 Tbsp white rice flour
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¾ tsp salt or to taste
- pepper optional
- Prepare boxed gluten free pasta using directions from the box. Drain and rinse, running under cold water to stop cooking. Set aside.
- Boil carrots until fork tender. Blend with a hand stick or food processor until smooth consistency. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat oil under medium-low heat and whisk in gluten free flour. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add choice of milk stirring constantly with the whisk. Sauce will thicken up immediately. Keep stirring.
- Add carrot puree and other spices. Mix well and taste. Add more salt if needed and optional pepper.
- Pour sauce over pasta and gently fold to coat noodles. Best enjoyed the first day warm.
basic with spices. In other words, KID FRIENDLY. 😉 Make any additions or subtractions if allergic to garlic.
Some other things you may like: