For any easy Win, go for some Gluten Free Cinnamon Apple Bagels (vegan and egg free)! It’s a win since it’s like Panera Bread except they’re gluten free, egg free, dairy free, soy free and nut free. AND it’s a win for me personally since I’m going to be huffing an puffing my way through 13.1 miles tomorrow morning. Mmm…bagels for carbohydrates.
Hey guys! Sorry to be so quiet around here lately. I have so many things going on right now. Including working on a new gluten free egg free bagel. When stressed, turn to baking!
Remember all the things that were stressing me out? Well, thankfully I can check somethings off.
-Plane tickets and hotel for my friend’s wedding next month- check
-Finding enough continuing education credits (CE) to keep my license- check
-Half marathon (on autopilot with less than 24 hours to go!)- check
Another big project we’ve been up to has been installation of a deck, patio and landscaping. It’s been long time coming but most of the project is completed. My husband and I are sooo not DIY when it comes to major projects like this so we hired a crew. But we were given specific instructions of the care of the new plants and sod.
That means watering the plants twice a day, each receiving 2-5 gallons each. That equals almost 2 stinking hours a day of climbing in and out of bushes to water plants…
And I’m totally feeling guilty after discovering we removed the home for a family of voles.
After watering the plants on the first day, I noticed a vole running frantically about trying to find a good place to hide. He must have lived in the dying bush we had removed. Eventually the vole ran into downspout and hid while I blasted the plants with water surrounding it. The noise probably terrified the poor thing. 🙁
Well, guess what I found today? My poor vole friend was “sleeping” according to my son right in front of that downspout. No doubt he died from shear terror and stress of homelessness. 😮
Total guilty conscience here…
I’m telling myself there are more than enough voles and mice living in the rest of our yard. Or at least the ones that the resident hawk doesn’t catch… or get the eaten by the mangy fox that wanders through our yard… or maybe the ones the coyotes don’t eat, since they haven’t managed to take down any deer lately. :p
I wonder if the animals would want to eat bagels instead of eating each other? A good bagel might distract them long enough to allow the vole family to escape…
Either way, I’m almost certain your family will enjoy this fall gluten free cinnamon apple bagels. It sort of reminds me of Panera’s Cinnamon Crunch Bagels.
Hope you enjoy!
- 3½ cups gluten free all purpose white blend
- 1¾ cups milk of choice or water
- 2½ tsp yeast or 1 packet (I use Red Star)
- 3 tsp guar gum
- 2 T oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup diced fresh apple
- ½ cup diced fresh apple
- ¼ cup raw demerara sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground clove
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Use a thermometer to heat liquid to 110 degrees F. Add yeast and mix and allow to sit for 5 minutes or until foamy.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, gum and salt.
- In large bowl combine yeast liquid and oil. Gradually mix in all the flour mixture to avoid big lumps. Mix until all incorporated and smooth.
- Wash, peel, core and chop apple into small chunks. Divide apple into ¼ & ½ cup portions.
- Gently fold in ¼ cup diced apple into dough.
- Use a large cookie scoop or an oiled ½ cup. Form the dough into a ball with wet hands and use your pinkie finger to poke a hole in the center. Slightly flatten the dough to give a bagel shape only expanding the hole a little (a smaller hole will help hold toppings in place). Place on a individual piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (see pic)
- Spray tops with oil, cover with plastic and allow to rise in a warm place for about 20 minutes. (Don't allow to double in size or else it will lose its shape and fall apart in the bath.)
- Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil. Gently drop a max of 2 bagels in the water and boiled each side for only 30 seconds each side. Remove individual parchment paper pieces and place back on baking sheet.
- Mix spices and sugar together until incorporated. Add coconut oil and microwave 10 seconds or until oil just begins to melt. Gently mix to until sugar is coated.
- Apply 1 full of -2 Tbsp full of apple and sugar mixture per bagel
- Bake at 450 degree for 14-16 or until golden brown.
Some other things you may like:
Gluten Free Caramel Apple Pie Bars– dairy free vegan