If you love and miss Panera Bread, you’re gonna love these Gluten Free Panera Cinnamon Crunch Bagel Vegan Copycats! A chewy gluten free egg free bagel topped with plenty of cinnamon sugar for that wonderful crunch you’d expect and remember from Panera only made food allergy friendly. These copycat cinnamon crunch bagels are dairy free, soy free, nut free and happen to be Vegan.
Ahh, Bagels. It’s been too long… Bagels are so versatile. Great for breakfasts. Great for lunch sandwiches. Even great for snacks.
These gluten free Panera cinnamon crunch bagel copycats have been in development for a long time. Probably months of developing. Before I give you the reasons, I feel I need to mention why I have so many bagel recipes. I have my original bagels, spinach and onion, chocolate chip and apple cinnamon bagels. Just a bit obsessed.
This obsession started in college. (Don’t the best things develop in those years?) Anyways, I loved bread and anything FREE, being I had a budget of only $25 a month for groceries. Pasta and Aldi’s were my saviors.
Good figure I’d go a little crazy when someone brought in food to the training room. I remember we had a bagel breakfast thank-you with boxes overflowing with every type of bagel you can imagine. Needless to say, I became a P-I-G ended up eating 4 bagels, with cream cheese, and I took more home for later. You remember being poor in college right? I morphed into a CAMEL for about 4 years until I knew when my next big meal was going to come…. Good ole college life!
Ok, back to why these cinnamon crunch bagels took so long…
The kids needed lunch sandwiches. Although I’m sure they won’t mind a sweet turkey and cheese sandwich, it just seemed a bit strange. Even wrong. Every time I would start making bagels with the mind set to make cinnamon version, I’d side tracked again with my popular original plain gluten free egg free bagels.
Things got closer to Panera’s cinnamon crunch with my gluten free apple cinnamon bagels. But I had to go for apple at at the time. (It was apple season, could you blame me?)
So I’m finally sharing a food allergy friendly version of, what I think you’d agreed, is a copycat Panera cinnamon crunch bagel. These have that iconic cinnamon, almost candy like topping, with the soft and chewy bagel you’d expect. And my version as usual is gluten free, egg free and dairy free.
I don’t have the calories calculated for my gluten free vegan cinnamon crunch bagels but I’m almost certain they are less than the original Panera version of a staggering 430 calories (without any cream cheese either!)
Feel free to add your favorite cream cheese or non-dairy spreads. Ok, enough talking about these bagels. I’m gonna go see if I can break my record from college of eating 4 large bagels with cream cheese for breakfast. :p
- 3½ cups my gluten free all purpose white blend
- 1¾ cups milk of choice or water
- 2½ tsp yeast or 1 packet
- 3 tsp guar gum
- 2 T oil
- ½ tsp salt
- (you won't use it all)
- ¼ cup raw demerara sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground clove
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Use a thermometer to heat liquid to 110 degrees F. Add yeast and mix, allow to sit for 5 minutes or until foamy.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, gum and salt.
- In large bowl combine yeast liquid and oil. Gradually mix in all the flour mixture to avoid big lumps. Mix by hand or with a stand mixer until all incorporated and smooth- about 5-10 minutes.
- Use a large cookie scoop or an oiled ½ cup. Form the dough into a ball with wet hands and use your pinkie finger to poke a hole in the center. Slightly flatten the dough to give a bagel shape only expanding the hole a little (a smaller hole will help hold toppings in place). Place on top of an individual piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Lightly spray tops with oil and cover with plastic and allow to rise in a warm place for about 20 minutes. (Don't allow to double in size or else it will lose its shape and fall apart in the bath.)
- Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil. Gently drop a max of 2 bagels in the water and boiled each side for only 30 seconds each side. Remove individual parchment paper pieces and place back on baking sheet. Drain any excess water from the center of bagel with a paper napkin.
- Mix spices and sugar together until incorporated. Add coconut oil and microwave 10 seconds or until oil just begins to melt. Gently mix to until sugar is coated.
- Apply 1-2 Tbsp full of sugar mixture per bagel, slightly pressing down to help stick to edges.
- Bake at 450 degree for 14-16 or until golden brown.
Follow me for the latest news!
Some other things you may like: